Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Spelling in the Classroom

     Ever find yourself wondering why you spend hours in the copy room making math and spelling homework packets, when they never get turned back in? This school year, our school transitioned from Success For All to Reading Wonders for grades 3-5.
     I was so excited and motivated to start using spelling in the classroom, I couldn't wait to make copies of their spelling packets, send them home and find spelling scores increasing! Well, by semester 2, I was OVER it! I would spend so much time, making copies and having students staple them together just to have them not get turned in, completed halfheartedly, and student's making no progress on their post test (especially my poor spellers). I decided, no MORE! If the students were not going to put the effort in, neither was I.
     I decided to take the activities that the students were (or weren't) doing at home and create activities for them to do during small groups. For the last 2 weeks of instruction, students have been doing spelling EVERYDAY! At least I know when they are doing it in the classroom, they are actually trying.
     After many hours of work, I created my spelling activity task cards. Each week, I print out the week's activities on card stock. I have color coded them so that students do not get confused as to what activity they still need to do. I also have labeled each record sheet, set of instructions and cards to make it easier on myself when organizing and on them when doing the activities.


Here, I have two students working on spelling during small groups. They have their record sheet, activity card and instructions in front of them. 


Due to the fact that there are 5 activities, and some of my groups have more than 5 students, I am able to pair some students up if needed. In this group, these two students are working on alphabetizing their spelling words- together! 

I have Unit 3 available for sale in my TPT store, but I realize that some classrooms might be finishing Unit 3 or done with it completely. I will continue creating and uploading as we go in my classroom. Be on the lookout for the next unit's products. 

How do you do spelling in your classroom? My next goal is to work on our vocabulary practice, because as we all may know, worksheets are not the answer- and my kids need vocabulary practice. 

Have a great weekend! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment